I've been wanting to buy a real leather maul for a while but I just couldn't justify the price. Tandy has them on sale right now for about $150 for a good quality poly maul. Sooo... I figured I should be able to build one. Well my first vision was some sort of stick with a knob of leather on the end. When I went digging through my junk I found a whole bunch of stuff I could use. Well it kept getting more involved as it went along from there. Here's what I ended up with for a few hours work ( not counting drying time for hardening the leather ) and all the parts were stuff I had laying around. I was aiming for around 2 pounds and ended up at 2.3.